The Greater Houston Retailers Cooperative Association, Inc. is one of the leading independent convenience store cooperatives in the nation. GHRA provides many benefits and values to its members. GHRA operates a full-service warehouse and distribution center supplying goods and services to the convenience store industry.
Reports to Director of Procurement
The Category Manager position manages assigned categories within the Procurement team with major responsibilities in achieving both financial and department goals. This position is responsible for all buying functions of assigned products and is the resident expert for all products within the assigned category. Fosters strong business relationship with suppliers to maximize program opportunities for members.
Develops strong relationships with suppliers, assessing capabilities and evaluating performance. Ensures products are sourced and delivered at lowest possible cost. Creates and develops a long-term plan and strategy for development of the category. Plans for and negotiates annual programs, cost, delivery, and payment terms for assigned categories. Manages vendor contracts to ensure timely receipt of rebates and promotional funding. Manages promotional activity and seasonal activity within assigned categories. Manages new and discontinued items process to include an exit plan for all discontinued item inventory. Manages warehouse inventory on slow movers, discontinued items, items with zero movement and develops plans for minimizing each.
Category Manager responsibilities and preferred requirements include, but are not limited to:
Experience in developing strategies or end-to-end sourcing of wholesale grocery products in a very dynamic market. Detailed market knowledge and thought leader capable of identifying areas of opportunity to drive cost/process improvement and/or increase category maturity.
Specific subcategories include but not limited to: Tobacco, Beverages, Candy, Snacks, Grocery, Household, Health & Beauty, Automotive, Pet Food.
Knowledge and experience in delivery and pricing models for Food & Beverage Ingredients. Experience working with top Ingredients suppliers and how to spot value and risks in these contracts.
Knowledge of strategic sourcing methods, technologies, and processes; ability to analyze, improve and re-evaluate organizational procurement process continuously. Knowledge and ability to utilize project management skills to document and drive compliant processes within the procurement cycle.
Baseline Creation & Savings Analysis
Knowledge of and ability to create baseline and savings analysis for procurement projects. Also, knowledge of savings methodologies and how to calculate savings for each methodology.
Vendor Relationship Management
Proven techniques and the ability to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with vendors. Experience dealing with challenging stakeholders and clients to meet and exceed expectations.
Ability to utilize data to sort through and analyze enterprise data to gain greater insight into trends within a business, industry and Client’s spend.
Understanding of effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
Knowledge of effective presentation tools and techniques; ability to present information to groups with the appropriate degree of formality.
Knowledge of business concepts, tools, and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company’s business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
- Previous experience in managing a team of individuals in a fast-paced environment.
- Supervises, selects, trains, develops, and mentors staff
- Direct reports: 2-3 buyers
ERP System Knowledge
- Proficiency in ERP software’s.
- Experience with SAP, Oracle, or any other ERP system; PowerBI, or any additional tools.
- Knowledge of database and application software, concepts, and structures, as well as ERP implementation preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- 5-8 years procurement experience in Food & Beverage categories; retail/wholesale preferred. Experience with consumer-packaged goods (CPG), contract manufacturing, and/or private label welcome.
- Expert knowledge of the category management, strategic sourcing, tactical buying, procurement operations, contract management, risk management & supplier relationship management.
- Understanding of total costs associated with procurement. Ability to identify and negotiate based on total cost. Ability to formulate a strategic and effective negotiation and develop and implement effective requests for quote/proposal/information.
- Demonstrate proficiency in leading teams supporting complex scope of services for clients & have management experience.
- Must have a proven track record of leading & managing sourcing teams.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to multi-task
- Process, organizational procedures and policy knowledge
- Ability to supervise team of 2-3 buyers.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- May be standing or sitting for extend period of times
- Extended period of time working in front of computer monitor
- Occasional light travel
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.