Reports to the Procurement Manager
The Category Manager position manages assigned categories within a procurement team with major responsibilities in achieving both financial and department goals. It is responsible for all buying functions of assigned products and is the resident expert for all products within the assigned category. Fosters strong business relationship with suppliers and supports Procurement Manager. Manages and updates an ongoing network of reliable suppliers.
Developing strong relationships with suppliers throughout North America with the goal of selecting vendors, assessing vendor capabilities and evaluating vendor performance. Strong understanding of shipping requirements to ensure products are sourced and shipped at lowest possible cost. Find and develop appropriate buying sources to assure proper variety and pricing for members. Also responsible for monitoring buying network (online, email, etc.,) to keep up to date on ongoing special buys, promotions, and new opportunities.
- Negotiates annual programs, cost, delivery and payment terms for assigned categories.
- Manages category business plans, budgeted allowances and margins within assigned categories.
- Establishes new product selections. Identifies emerging trends, brands and items within assigned categories through lifestyle research, industry publications, supplier meetings, trade shows and market data.
- Manages promotional activity, seasonal activity and merchandising selling events within assigned categories.
- Manages new and discontinued items process to include an exit plan for all discontinued item inventory.
- Manages inventory on slow movers, discontinued items, items with zero movement and develops plans for minimizing each.
- Develops and communicates reporting on category item performance trends in markets we operate with regular updates.
- Plan-o-gram development and recommendations for our members based on results and market data.
- Manages vendor contracts to ensure timely receipt of rebates and promotional funding.
- Updates and maintains all essential information such as cost, size, UPC, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Experience and Skills:
- 5 years retail/wholesale purchasing experience with manufacturers, distributors and alternative buying sources
- Existing network of alternative buying sources in consumer goods.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Very strong negotiation skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Good communications skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent understanding of Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- May be standing or sitting for extend period of times
- Occasional light travel
- Extended period of time working in front of computer monitor
- Some days of prolonged walking
Number of Openings: 1
Starting Date: Immediate
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their resume to email@example.com