The Greater Houston Retailers Cooperative Association, Inc. is one of the leading independent convenience store cooperatives in the Nation. GHRA provides many benefits and values to its Members. GHRA operates a full service warehouse and distribution center supplying goods and services to the convenience store industry.
Accounts Payable Specialist
Reports to the GHRA Warehouse Accountant
Maintains and controls the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records. Ensures all reports are correct and accurate.
The Accounts Payable Specialist will perform accounting and clerical duties related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions.
General Accounts payable functions:
- Verify checks and process vendor invoices.
- Prepare payments for signature.
- Sort, code and enter accounts payable data.
- Analyze discrepancies and unpaid invoices.
- Maintain vendor files.
- Track all payments and expenditures, purchase orders, invoices, and statements.
- Reconciling processed payments through verification of entries and other supporting documents to balances.
- Maintaining the accuracy of historical data and records.
- Providing support in audit and tax preparation.
- Correspondence with all creditors and vendors regarding payment schedules, outstanding credits, and other finance-related inquiries.
- Preparing an analysis of accounts and other monthly reports.
- Continuous improvement of the payment process.
General support functions:
- Update, verify and maintain accounting journals and ledgers and other financial records.
- Assist in month end reporting procedures.
- Find and use accounting data to resolve accounting problems and discrepancies
- Track and audit petty cash.
- Perform filing and general administrative tasks.
- Liaise with other departments/customers/vendors.
- Copies, files, and retrieves materials for accounts receivable & accounts payable as needed.
- Interacts with clients by answering questions and research discrepancies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Skills:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good spreadsheet skills
- Excellent Organizational, Verbal and Written communication skills
- 1+ years’ experience in accounting.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Associate degree in business or accounting an advantage.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and QuickBooks.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift to 15 pounds at a time.
Number of Openings: 1
Starting Date: Immediate
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.