The Greater Houston Retailers Cooperative Association, Inc. is one of the leading independent convenience store cooperatives in the nation. GHRA provides many benefits and values to its members. GHRA operates a full-service warehouse and distribution center supplying goods and services to the convenience store industry
IT Product Manager (Retail Technology)
Reports to the IT Director
As a Product Manager (Retail Technology) for GHRA’s IT team, you will use your IT skills to work with our vendors and partners to identify and implement new technology as well as resolve any technical issues within our retail network to maintain an easy and seamless user experience for our members. Using your customer service mindset and sense of urgency along with a strong understanding our technology stack, you will be responsible for ensuring product requirements are met with flexible, scalable, and supported technical solutions, covering Point-of-Sale, QSR, KMS, mobile, and Loyalty solutions. Please note that this position may require shift flexibility and on-call availability.
- Proficient understanding of networking; you understand the connectivity of various types of hardware, software, applications, middleware, etc.
- Drive thought leadership within each product line, maintain an integrated product-line roadmap, and incorporate our partner’s roadmaps to align internal and external stakeholder expectations.
- Engage and influence solution providers to resolve networking, hardware, or software issues.
- Log and track defects and work with providers to ensure timely resolution.
- Establish and maintain UAT lab, test scripts, approval process and communication policy for hardware and software upgrades.
- An ability to work flexible hours, when necessary.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and peers to align on roadmaps, delivery ownership and operational excellencies. Develop strategic relationships with stakeholders and customers by understanding their needs and communicate those needs to 3rd party providers.
- Host routine collaboration sessions with 3rd party providers to discuss open defects, upcoming release schedules and roadmap timelines and communicate this information to stakeholders.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for all technologies that exist in the retail environment.
- Create and maintain documentation for systems, integrations, process flows, and testing.
- Seek new opportunities, methods, trends, capabilities, and products for the advancement of the Store Systems.
- Participate in all phases of projects including development, design, testing and production planning, reviewing, and ensuring deliverables are met.
- Ensure vendors with whom we partner to provide software, hardware or services to our retail are held to a high standard. Grow and manage these relationships to ensure our retail customers are always properly supported.
- Provide input for departmental budget and forecasting, and manage expenses associated with initiatives within scope of responsibility.
Experience and Skills:
- Strong analytical skills.
- Proven ability to maintain good working relationships with stakeholders including senior leaders.
- Customer service mindset and a positive approach to problem solving.
- Adaptability and ability to learn multiple different technologies and how they work together.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly proficient in articulating technology strategy and benefits to a non-technical audience of stakeholders.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude managing multiple competing priorities and deadlines.
- Travel is a requirement for this position up to 15% of the time.
Education and experience:
- Post-secondary education in IT, Computer Science, related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience working with C-Store Retail, QSR, POS technologies or equivalent
- Experience with IT product management (a plus)
- Experience serving in a retail technology support role (a plus)
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience with Gilbarco and Verifone POS technologies.
- Experience integrating technologies in a retail environment.
- Requires ability to lift up to 40lbs comfortably, ability to stand or sit for extended periods (2-4 hours).